Well, the title says it all..! I ordered the under $200 Genus loupe last week to be used with the Canon 5d to use during a transitional period between “now” and the release of the Cinevate Cyclops viewfinder. My expectations were not very high, since it is one of the cheapest DSLR loupes on the market today.
But i was pleasantly surprised when the loupe showed up in a few days! To cut a long story short:
- the Genus loupe can compete with Zacuto, no doubt about it, surely with the Junior, and i don’t see much difference with the standard Zacuto loupe. Less sexy appearance and maybe less solidly built,but also a 150 bucks price difference
- easy slide on / off
- comes with free transparent loupe housing for viewing slides, lanyard and extra adhesive pads
- adjustable diopter for bespectacled users
- 2.5 x magnification
- fully covers 7D and 5D LCD
- under 200 dollars, around 160 euros in Europe
- available directly and from many dealers worldwide, seldom out of stock
Here is a video impression by Steve Rushworth: http://vimeo.com/14269420
Well, what can i say?! If you’re on a budget, give the Genus a try!