You all might come to the conclusion – after reading this post – that i am full of contradictions…😉 But, hey, that’s life! The filmmaking world is changing more rapidly than i can change my underwear, and technologies AND the mindset of producers and directors seem to be able to make a 360 degree turn overnight.
After posting my previous post “Sold my Canon 7d…”, i received mail from people wanting to know if i’ve abandoned DSLR filming for good and if i’d also stop publishing picture profiles for the Canon DSLR cameras. I have also received encouraging mail from one guy you all know, but who has asked not to publish his name or comments, that i should absolutely give HDSLR another chance by using the Canon 5D MKII, different lenses and a better minimal DSLR rig. He also stressed on listening to his advise this time…😉
The director of an upcoming documentary production i was asked to do the camerawork for, was alarmed after reading my tweet and article because he “sold” the use of a DSLR camera as a feature of the project; something the producer agreed with and was enthused by. So, after much debate and consideration i have agreed on using a Canon 5D MKII for aforesaid production. I am responsible for part of the budget, so i will be looking into finding a comfy rig, screenloupe, followfocus and choice of lens(es).
Drawing to a conclusion while broadly answering the emails i have received..:
- The Red Scarlet is in fact also a HDSLR camera, and i am still set on obtaining one as soon as it becomes available. I truly believe that (the specs of) the Scarlet is the future. Alas, for now it still remains a “future product”…;-)
- I will continue to shoot HDSLR, although with some more consideration and probably B-camera
- I will (try) not be triggered, inspired or drawn into gadget hypes, such as full production camera rigs with matteboxes , dollies, tracks and the such as a part of HDSLR filming – just a plain simple kit that i can carry in a bag, instead of a wheelbarrow
- I will – as promised – publish a number of new picture profiles for the Canon vDSLR camera range, together with Bart Keimen who is an ex-colleague and a brilliant colorist, sometime next month, as they are needed for the documentary and other work mentioned. We were planning to do some Kodak, Fuji and other footage stock simulations and also some specific in-camera looks such as “Tony Scott look” – that kind of thing.
- I will continue to shoot HD+DOF adapter, no worries.
- I am considering buying Canon 24-70 L series or 24-105 f/4 IS L series lens for the 5D, to be used together with the Zeiss primes i already own. Please respond to this article if you want to share your lens experiences.
I am now off to find a sponsor who can help me out with a DSLR rig with followfocus… Or rob a bank…